Monday, May 3, 2010

What's on your bookshelf?


Today I was looking at my bookshelf and I realized that I’ve gone through various phases throughout the years.  I had my horror phase which consisted mainly of Stephen King and Clive Barker novels. I still love horror books, the darker the better. I love going into the deep dark crevasses of these writers minds.  A good writer can make you forget everything while you’re in their world, and I love that.

Next was my vampire phase, no not Twilight! Sorry vampires do not sparkle in the sunlight that is just wrong! My obsession was with the vampire chronicles by Anne Rice. Those books were great until Queen of the Damned and then she became too loopy and religious for this gal. However Ms. Rice deserves major props for creating Lestat because he is by far one of the coolest vampires there is next to Dracula (you can’t compete with an original).

Then the biographies, well dirty rock star bios.  Why read about our great leaders when I can spend hours inside the head of a heroin addict (Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx) fascinating. My favorite is Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis you will either hate or love him. I love him because I respect a man that takes accountability for his actions. He could have blamed so many others for his choices but he knew that every choice he made was his, I admire that. 

Now we move on to the self-help books no not to analyze my fascination with the macabre or dirty Rock Stars. Sometimes a girl just has to try and make sense of this crazy world and it cannot be done by oneself so in enters The Power of Now and The Secret. Be weary of the self-help section it can become a bit obsessive if you find something that you connect with. My birth sign is Virgo so like a true Virgo I analyze everyone and everything yes even me. So give me tools to analyze myself even further equals obsessive. I have eased up on the self-help and analyzing myself, but I still analyze others. I must know what makes people tick. I love it when I can’t quite read someone, these people show you different sides of them but you never get the whole picture. I hope to meet more people like that.

Currently there are dating books on my shelf, He’s Just Not That into You, She Crazy He’s a Liar and The Rules. Had anyone ever told me that I’d be reading books on dating advice I would have laughed and said NEVER. But what they say is true never say Never.  I read them in part for blog research material and in truth because I am hoping someone will enlighten me to the ways of this crazy dating game. Yes it is a game. Everyone will say that they don’t play games, if that were true we could all be ourselves without fear of judgment.  I fidget, it is worse when I am nervous and yes dating makes me nervous. I keep thinking what if I say the wrong thing, will I sound butch when I tell them I can ride a motorcycle and have a blue belt in Jiu-Jitsu? All the messages in these books say be yourself but not quite yourself! See its all games, and I obviously do not play that game very well. I go on dates, fidget, babble on (I do that when I get nervous as well) I do not hide the fact that I like UFC and yes I think 80’s hair bands rule! If he can’t handle the surface stuff then he would not be able to handle the deeper layers underneath. I am aware I may be single forever but I refuse to conform!










Cheers!
Hopeful in TO

2 comments:

  1. Very well written, Hopeful in TO! & so you should not conform!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you will not reform!!!

    ReplyDelete