Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Classic Cinnabon


My Friend calls me this morning to tell me that she threw up; yes these are the calls that I get first thing in the morning. I ask why,  she tells me that she had bought a box of Cinnabon’s yesterday and she split one with her son this morning, and it made her sick. No wonder they are loaded with sugar and nothing good can come of eating one. It made me sick just thinking about eating something so sweet first thing in the morning. Now my curiosity so piqued so I had to find out how bad these things are:

The Classic Cinnabon has 813 calories, 32 grams of fat, 8 grams of saturated fat, 5 grams of trans fat, 67 milligrams of cholesterol, 801 milligrams of sodium, 117 carbohydrates, 55 grams of sugar, 4 grams of fiber, 15 grams of protein

The average female diet should be between 1500 – 2200 calories depending on your fitness and activity level. One Cinnabon could possibly be half of your calories for the day.

Did you know that 55 grams of sugar is equivalent to 13 teaspoons, think about this; would you put 13 teaspoons of sugar in your Tea/Coffee? Would you eat 13 teaspoons of sugar, hopefully not, so why eat it in the form of a Cinnabon. I’m not trying to make my friend feel bad, but it helps to see exactly what is in some of our  treat foods. I believe it was the combination of  sugar and grease first thing in the morning that made her sick. Breakfast should be one of your best meals of the day, your should feel energized and ready to take on the world after eating a good breakfast not running to the bathroom.

Half a Cinnabon is  400 calories, 16 grams of fat,  27 grams of sugar, 2 grams of fiber and 7.5 grams of protein. 

Instead for 384 calories, 3 grams of fat, 7.4 grams of sugar, 14 grams of fiber and 38 grams of protein, my friend could have had 1 cup cottage cheese with 1 cup blackberries and 2 slices of Ezekiel or whole grain toast. NOW that is a breakfast. Not only is it low fat, high in protein it has half your fiber intake for the day.

If you're struggling with healthy breakfast options there are lots of resource out there, here is the breakfast recipe link to the Eat Clean Diet web site http://www.eatcleandiet.com/food_and_recipes/clean_recipe.aspx . I also recommend the Eat Clean Diet Cookbook the recipes are so easy and delicious that even this Single Gal can make them successfully.

Good Luck and remember you are what you eat! So eat clean and be a high-powered machine rather than a slow-moving slug.

1 comment: