Friday, August 13, 2010

Nat's Story...

These two dogs are very special to me; they both came into my life when I needed them most. I had adopted Yoda my pug when he was 8 years old, his owner could no longer care for him she loved him but circumstances in her life had lead to her having to give him up. It was love at first site for me, and little did I know he would be my saving grace to help me get over a very long term relationship. He was there every night when I cried. He didn’t judge, he just loved me unconditionally. We had 2.5 years together before he passed away. He had a stroke on our way up north one summer. I had taken him to the vets, they convinced me he would pull through so I left him over night to go to our camp site. They called me the next morning telling me he would not make it, I rushed to get there but he died before I arrived. I was devastated because all I wanted to do was be there for his final moment, like he had been there for me.  I still carry guilt for ever leaving him behind, it comes and goes and I may never truly forgive myself but I have learned to deal with it. He is one scar on my heart that may never completely heal.

Then came Shmoo  my beautiful boxer they say we have soul mates well Shmoo was my soul dog,  the moment I held him in my arms I knew he was mine. We had 4.5 years together, we had gone through so much (that is a whole other story in itself) . When I got him as a puppy I was living in my parent’s basement, so he was in an environment where there was always someone around. Then when he was 4, I moved to an apartment in a very nice dog friendly neighbourhood. I thought this was going to be a great move for the two of us, I was so excited. My own space a beautiful dog park for Shmoo, can life gets any better?  Shmoo hated it, he would bark all day and cry, I got complaints from the landlord and was even threatened that I would get evicted. I put him in doggie daycare during the day but I was slowly going broke, I also brought him to a trainer to help with this, I tried everything I could think of.


Then one day I realized either I move back home or I have to find Shmoo a new home where he will be surrounded by people.  I cannot express how hard it was to come to that conclusion. I did find him a home with a family friend, with kids and where someone was home all day. He was happy there but not long after being in their care he died, no fault of anyone’s but when I heard the news I was devastated once again I let another animal down. I was on my way to a major depression when I started the Single Gals web site it was the only thing that could keep my mind off of Shmoo. That stopped me from playing the cruel game of “What if I did this, or tried that” I still cannot talk about Shmoo without tears and some days I am convinced that I may never be able to. I have however stopped trying to figure out why I had to go through this when I had gone through so much to get to a happy place. Slowly I think he had to leave me so I can pursue the path I am on now and one day I hope to build a place for dogs in his honour.  My tattoo is my way of having my furry loved ones back where they belong..........with me.


The artist was Rob from Sinful Inflictions  (905) 430-9840     


No comments:

Post a Comment