Thursday, April 28, 2011

Self Defense..It may save your life

Last night I was blissfully walking through the underground parking of my building. I was daydreaming and not paying attention to my surroundings, when all of a sudden out of nowhere this man appeared. He was not a threat to me but I realized had he been I would never have seen him coming. Girls...We should always be aware of what’s going on around us! This does not mean we have to walk around in fear; if we are aware we can avoid situations if needed.

Having grown up in one of Toronto’s less desirable neighbourhoods I learned a few survival tricks. One of the first things that someone showed me was to walk with my house keys between my fingers. They now become a weapon; you can use them to take someone’s eyes out (thankfully I never had to use them). 

Next you must know how to get away if someone grabs your wrists. It’s very simple and YES is does work! I did this move instinctively. I was walking home from work one evening and as I walk past this man on the sidewalk he grabs my wrist with both hands and tells me that he wants me to go with him to Pizza Hut for a drink. I said NO and tried to pull away but his grip tightened. He kept insisting that I go with him, and I kept telling him NO, he was getting more aggressive and I was getting more fearful when I finally clasped my hands together, twisted my wrist and pulled free. Once free I ran as fast as my legs would go, which it seems is lightening speed. This video shows how this is done, I should have kicked him as well but once free I ran. Do what you need to get free.




Also there is the tried and true kicking him in the groin not sure why I didn’t do that..funny you never know what you’ll do in those situations. Your instincts will kick in but it helps to know some basic self defense moves because they may save your life. If you can get your hands on some mace do it. I am not sure why it is illegal in Canada but I rather go to court because I used my illegal mace than become a statistic.

Here are some links to basic self defense moves..I highly recommend taking a Self Defense class it may save your life.




Safe travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment